Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gaining wisdom through criticism

I just read a post on CJ Mahaney's blog about how proverbs teaches that we gain wisdom through criticism, reproof and correction.  Here are a few verses:

Proverbs 9:8 Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you;
reprove a wise man, and he will love you.

Proverbs 19:25 Strike a scoffer, and the simple will learn prudence;
reprove a man of understanding, and he will gain knowledge.

Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom,
but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.

This truth is encouraging to me because it means that as I write these blogs I am not only sharing what I am learning with my readers but I am also inviting opportunity to gain more wisdom by putting me thoughts out there to be criticised and corrected.  I rejoice in this.

The trouble is that the only time my comments pile up is when I post something that I already know that many of my readers agree with.  Sometimes I post things hoping to be corrected, criticised, or shepherded in some way and the comments come up empty.

I have not been gracious in every response in the past and I confess, that is a difficult thing for me to do.  I ask forgiveness from anyone whom I have offended previously.  I hope that as you read my blog you would consider how to build up what is good in me and tear down what is not of Christ.  Thank you for reading.  I thank God for you all.

Tim 2:25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,

Col 3:16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As in a biblical church gathering, my word is not complete or final. Participation is allowed, encouraged and expected. Please, don't leave without adding something.