Saturday, December 4, 2010

freaking out on the Jesus freaks

With all the talk in the blogosphere lately about popular culture and its usefulness in formal worship services I thought I would throw my hat in the ring.

Let me begin by saying that I don't see where what are often referred to as worship services have any foundation from the New Testament. In light of this I don't see how different types of music that are popular today can add to or detract from an already unbiblical practice. I mean, really let's be consistent brothers. If you are gonna be against gospel rap, Jesus freak rock music or christian contemporary music on biblical grounds then lets look at everything in the worship service through that lens.

Personally I enjoy listening to gospel rap in my car. I love how poetic the lyrics are and how faithful these brothers are to sound doctrine and their biblical convictions. In fact, in the near future I plan to jot down some of those verses and create some pages so you see the depth and skill that these artists demonstrate in their music.

What do you think about the rise of christian artists using genre's from popular culture as a style suitable to preach the gospel?

1 comment:

  1. The NT teaches that the saints are to bring what they want to sing and that they are to "sing to one another" and "make music in their hearts to the Lord". This rules out performance oriented music where the saints are mere spectators. We are to participate both in the singing and in response to the singing with personal "truth in love" expression. Since every member of the body of Christ may have different tastes in style, there should be great variety, unless there is some spoken or unspoken rules about styles, which are unfortunate.

    Yes, please put some rap words on. I don't buy that style but would like to read it and be spurred on....

    ReplyDelete

As in a biblical church gathering, my word is not complete or final. Participation is allowed, encouraged and expected. Please, don't leave without adding something.