Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Keeping the law on your doorposts

Occasionally I work in the section of town near the local synagogue.  This area is predominately Jewish.  It is very interesting to see all the various ways that they strive to keep the law, even today.

This morning I was at one such house changing a water heater.  On every door frame was a little box like the one pictured.  There were books about the Torah everywhere and pictures of family on every wall.

The little boxes were there to remind them of the covenant God made with Israel through Moses.  I was constantly reminded of the new covenant in Christ's blood.  I thought about the Passover with the blood covering the doorway.  While the Jews who live here are contantly reminded that they must keep the law I was constantly reminded that Christ already has and our life is hidden in Him.

Deut 6:4-9 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

May the saints be in constant awareness of our present indwelling of the risen Christ.

1 comment:

  1. "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the Lord, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. Jer 31:33....one of my favorite verses. Thanks, your post reminded me of it again.

    ReplyDelete

As in a biblical church gathering, my word is not complete or final. Participation is allowed, encouraged and expected. Please, don't leave without adding something.